Skip to main content

Visiting Russia

When I first visited Russia, I was taken one afternoon to one of the new markets that had sprung up in Moscow, full of traders, selling everything from cheap Turkish knickers to slabs of dark red-brown meat that slid from plastic bags, that had been stored in battered suitcases, onto makeshift tables. These were the people who were 'making it' hustling through disturbed times with grit and determination and guile.

On the edge of the market was a woman in a well-kept fur coat holding a single crystal glass, hoping to sell it, needing to sell it, to supplement the shrunken pension that might not even come. She had been a public, municipal official, we discovered, and her comfortable, pre-fall life, had disintegrated and she was now surviving on meagre help from her equally pressed, public servant children, and selling items accumulated in the 'good times' (of late Brezhnev to which Mr Putin recently referred in nostalgic terms).

You can imagine that if your life was framed by the latter experience, Mr Putin's arrival (though the economic revival began before he did) was a godsend. With the tax reform, and then the oil price, swelling the state coffers and pensions (and wages) rising (and being paid), it was easy to see him through salvation tinted spectacles (and genuinely so).

But after a first reformist burst (and the brutality of the suppression of the North Caucasus, only partially successful, and only for the time being), Mr Putin proceeded to do precisely nothing except push money through a sclerotic system and tinker with it at the edges - rather like pumping air into a burst tyre, keeping it inflated and moving along, but offering no meaningful fixes.

And with each passing year of stagnation the air needed grows - in 2008 the Russian budget would balance if oil stood at $80, now it needs to be $110.  With a crippling lack of investment (either in technological or financial terms), the world's second largest oil/gas producer struggles to meet its forward contracts without buying supplies from Central Asia.

And so it goes, even without touching on the triggers of corruption or electoral fraud, Mr Putin's vaunted 'stability' is a house built upon if not sand, sandstone. It is not an economic structure that is going to collapse overnight but rather like the nostalgic Brezhnev era wither away over time until it crumbles.

It is very sad. A few weeks ago, I was at an 'innovation event' and was surprised to see that many of the presenters, setting up new technological businesses in the UK, were young Russians. Surprised partly because I carry about with me (in spite of myself) a forlorn English sense of why here? I asked one why? The first response was a business one - London is an exciting place to develop such ventures, a critical hub does appear to be emerging, enabling cross-fertilization and angel financing. The second one (after more wine and establishing that I had lived in Moscow) was more personal - if I am successful, said one, I can be sure I can keep my wealth and my company will be legally secure (and, after more wine, in fact, I myself will be safe)!

It is difficult to imagine that a man whose first became President promising the oxymoron of the 'dictatorship of law' can, in fact, be such a failure against his own declared intentions but, sadly, he is; and, you can only hope that if this is not the end (as it almost certainly is not), it is the first signs of the beginning of the end.

Back to the 90s, it was an extraordinarily difficult period for Russia (no one can doubt that) though I doubt whether anyone faced with the calamity of Brezhnev stagnation could have untangled the situation without considerable pain but it was too genuinely exciting, alive not stagnating, with real debate and real options to build a more flourishing, open society.

Another person I met on that first visit was the Director of the State Geological Institute in Nizhny Novgorod. I met him, not in his office, but in a basement, cramped and chilly but a hive of industry. He had started a business making pelmeni as his salary (of $20 a month) was inadequate, and often failed to arrive. I asked him, "Did he not want to go back to the old system?" He thought quietly for a moment, smiled and said, "No, never. I am for the first time making my own life. It is very hard but it is working. I am free."

It is to be hoped that more people can find that there is a balance to be struck between the real challenge and real fruit of being free (something it is easy for us 'here' to complacently forget) and that the most successful societies continue to be one's that enable their citizens (however imperfectly) to craft decisions together, and where power is exercising legitimate authority within the checks and balances of individual's rights. But it may require (sadly) a greater sense of economic and social crisis to push them over that particular edge.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Buddha meets Christ in embrace

Reading Lama Anagarika Govinda is proving nostalgic on a number of fronts. I recall my first reading of it in my first year at university, bought at Watkins, the famous 'esoteric' bookshop in Cecil Court in London. I sat in my hall of residence room transfixed by a world made familiar; and, it was deepening of a commitment to contemplation (which has been observed fitfully)! I remember returning, at the time, to my school to give a talk to the combined fifth form on Buddhism and using Govinda as the backbone of my delivery (both this book, and his equally wonderful, the Foundations of Tibetan Buddhism). I was voted (I immodestly remember) their best invited speaker of the year. I had even bought a recording of Tibetan music as opener and closer! He reminded me of how important Buddhism was (and is) to my own thinking and comprehension of my experience. The Buddha's First Sermon in the Deer Park was the first religious text I read (of my own volition) at the tender age

Searching for paradise in the hidden Himalayas

At moments of dislocation and intense social uncertainty people will appear offering the possibility of another land where people will be blessed, liberated and genuinely at home. In this case, it was not 'Brexit' but a hidden land of actual immortality, enfolded within the mountain ranges around Mt Kanchenjunga on the Nepalese/Sikkim border. Unlike Shangri-la, Beyul Demoshong was not simply a physical space, carefully hidden (as imagined in Hilton's Lost Horizon) but an occulted place spiritually hidden. The person offering this journey and opening the way to it was the 'crazy lama', Tulshuk Lingpa. Lingpa was a 'terton' a finder of 'terma' which were texts magically hidden until discovered at the right moment for them to be of maximum usefulness to people's spiritual development. They were often hidden by Padmasambhava, the robust wonder-working bringer of Buddhism to Tibet; and, Tibetan Buddhism is alive with such discoveries (though und

Parzival and the neutral angels

Fresh from contemplating 'Lost Christianity', I read Lindsay Clarke's fabulous re-telling of Wolfram von Eschenbach's poem, 'Parzival and the Stone from Heaven' from which 'Christendom' is lost! Von Eschenbach was a sacred poet but one of ecumenical sympathies where not only is Parzival's final battle (unknowingly) with his brother, the piebald Saracen, Feirefiz, essential to his self-discovery but the two of them enter the Grail castle together and are granted together a vision of the 'stone' that is the Grail. When Feirefiz asks whether it is permitted to see this Christian  mystery, Parzival answers (in Clarke's version) yes for, "all Nature's increase is there, so I think that this stone from Heaven must be a living emblem of the earth itself, which is mother and father to us all." There are knights, ladies, sorcerers, hermits and wise old hags abounding in Eschenbach's world but interestingly for a mediev