Skip to main content

Holiday reading



Off to the west coast of Scotland - oysters, midges, rain and castles - and a suitcase with books.


I am reading, as I depart, Roger Lipsey's book on the relationship between Thomas Merton and his long standing Abbot, Dom James Fox, "Make Peace Before the Sun Goes Down". It was a fraught, fruitful, sometimes disabling relationship and Lipsey (whose biography of Dag Hammarskjold is outstanding) has decided to tell the story from both sides, not only, as is usual, through the lens of Merton.

Already in the first few pages it has upended my assumptions about Fox (through multiple Merton biographies and his journals) always thinking, as I did, of Fox as folksy (he would end his letters, 'All for Jesus through Mary with a smile') and not as Merton's intellectual peer. But Fox went, on a scholarship, to Harvard for a humanities degree, focused on history, graduated exceptionally well and subsequently went to the business school. I am expecting a fascinating account of a fellowship, a duel, a relationship framed by community and common purpose and their mutual status of contemplatives drawn to the eremitic life.

Since I am going to Scotland, I thought a major novel, by a favorite Scottish author, the one not yet read which is Neil M Gunn's 'The Silver Darlings' set in the context of the herring fishery that was his father's living (though within a earlier time frame). Gunn is the social realist, shot through with increasing spiritual (even metaphysical) insight and I love both his descriptions of community, its essentials and trials, and the sight of something yet other, a unifying way of seeing that pierces the world and makes one doubly at home in it. He is an author of 'setpieces' too - I will never forget one such - a young farmer, struggling to bring all his sheep home in a terrible blizzard, on which his livelihood and his very identity depends. You taste the tiredness, the renewing desperate energy, the elements being unintended cruel and the final justifying triumph.

Given that there will be a lot of trees about (one hopes), I next thought of Colin Tudge's 'The Secret Life of Trees'. Tudge is a wonderfully clear and enthusiastic writer able to convey complex scientific concepts in accomplished, accessible prose; and, this is a book I have been meaning to read for a while to better understand the lungs of the world and what Jung poetically called, 'thoughts of God'!

Meanwhile, on God, I decided to take along the clinical psychologist (and lifelong mystic, to quote his own description), Wilson van Dusen's 'Returning to Source: The Way to the Experience of God'. I read his book on Swedenborg with great admiration years ago, purchased this and neglected it!

Finally, 'More Than Allegory: On religious myth, truth and belief'' by Bernardo Kashtrup, a person I have never read before, but comes recommended by my 'religion scholar of the moment', Jeffrey Kripal, and rests, as far as I can see, on that fascinating point of intersection between religion and science that is an open dialogue rather than a closed conflict; and, where our deepening understanding of consciousness, the quantum and the anomalous is turning us towards a world that is a lot weirder than we thought (or, at least, have thought in these past three provincial centuries as Yeats described them).

These should keep me busy among the companionship, the cooking, the walks and the really cool spa with an infinity pool!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Buddha meets Christ in embrace

Reading Lama Anagarika Govinda is proving nostalgic on a number of fronts. I recall my first reading of it in my first year at university, bought at Watkins, the famous 'esoteric' bookshop in Cecil Court in London. I sat in my hall of residence room transfixed by a world made familiar; and, it was deepening of a commitment to contemplation (which has been observed fitfully)! I remember returning, at the time, to my school to give a talk to the combined fifth form on Buddhism and using Govinda as the backbone of my delivery (both this book, and his equally wonderful, the Foundations of Tibetan Buddhism). I was voted (I immodestly remember) their best invited speaker of the year. I had even bought a recording of Tibetan music as opener and closer! He reminded me of how important Buddhism was (and is) to my own thinking and comprehension of my experience. The Buddha's First Sermon in the Deer Park was the first religious text I read (of my own volition) at the tender age

Searching for paradise in the hidden Himalayas

At moments of dislocation and intense social uncertainty people will appear offering the possibility of another land where people will be blessed, liberated and genuinely at home. In this case, it was not 'Brexit' but a hidden land of actual immortality, enfolded within the mountain ranges around Mt Kanchenjunga on the Nepalese/Sikkim border. Unlike Shangri-la, Beyul Demoshong was not simply a physical space, carefully hidden (as imagined in Hilton's Lost Horizon) but an occulted place spiritually hidden. The person offering this journey and opening the way to it was the 'crazy lama', Tulshuk Lingpa. Lingpa was a 'terton' a finder of 'terma' which were texts magically hidden until discovered at the right moment for them to be of maximum usefulness to people's spiritual development. They were often hidden by Padmasambhava, the robust wonder-working bringer of Buddhism to Tibet; and, Tibetan Buddhism is alive with such discoveries (though und

Parzival and the neutral angels

Fresh from contemplating 'Lost Christianity', I read Lindsay Clarke's fabulous re-telling of Wolfram von Eschenbach's poem, 'Parzival and the Stone from Heaven' from which 'Christendom' is lost! Von Eschenbach was a sacred poet but one of ecumenical sympathies where not only is Parzival's final battle (unknowingly) with his brother, the piebald Saracen, Feirefiz, essential to his self-discovery but the two of them enter the Grail castle together and are granted together a vision of the 'stone' that is the Grail. When Feirefiz asks whether it is permitted to see this Christian  mystery, Parzival answers (in Clarke's version) yes for, "all Nature's increase is there, so I think that this stone from Heaven must be a living emblem of the earth itself, which is mother and father to us all." There are knights, ladies, sorcerers, hermits and wise old hags abounding in Eschenbach's world but interestingly for a mediev